Meet My Ancestor Contest 2017
Note: This contest is for members of Nanaimo Family History Society only.
All our families have stories to tell. Perhaps in your research files you have a skeleton in the closet, an unsung hero or heroine, or, like most of us, family members who experienced the perils of emigration, the hardships of war, or simply the rigors of daily life. It’s time to write about these people!
Nanaimo Family History Society members are invited to enter a “Meet My Ancestor” contest. $100.00 will be awarded to the entrant whose entry, in the opinion of the judging panel, best meets the contest criteria.
Please review entry topics and rules here.
A panel consisting of three members of Nanaimo Family History Society will judge the entries based on eight criteria:
- The author is a current member of the Nanaimo Family History Society on December 31, 2017.
- The entry has not been previously published.
- The entry is an interesting, coherent read with a specific focus of genealogical interest.
- The entry demonstrates the researcher’s methodology, including problems encountered and their resolution.
- The entry includes family tree diagram(s) and/or photographs(s) and/or other illustrations, if appropriate. These visuals are appropriately placed to support the context of the entry.
- The length of the entry is not more than 2500 words.
- The entry includes footnotes as necessary.
- The entry includes sources.
Entries are to be submitted to Nanaimo Family History Society and received by midnight, December 31, 2017. Submit entries by e-mail to email@example.com or by hand to a member of the NFHS executive.
The winning entry will be announced at the Annual General Meeting in February, 2018, and will be published in the spring edition of AncesTree. Other submitted entries, at the AncesTree editor’s discretion, will be published in later editions of our society’s journal. Entries may be edited as necessary before publication in Ancestree.